Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Mini Machine

While growing up my mom continuously offered to teach me how to sew. I was stupid and never took her up on this generous offer. She warned me that I would one day regret it, and today is that day. I wish I knew how to sew. I think I'm going to try to learn, but I don't really know where to start... What is a good machine? What is an easy but pretty first time project? Where does one go to buy fun fabrics? One idea I have so far is to purchase this adorable little sewing machine as my starter from Urban Outfitters. My only worry is that it may be more cute than practical. Any advice on sewing/sewing machines/fabrics would be greatly appreciated:)

7 comments:

Matt and Jen said...

I bought my first machine a couple years ago and did a lot of research and ended up with a Janome and I love it. I think you are right...the mini machine is cute and fun, but not practical. If you buy a good sewing machine it will last you forever!! I have the Janome DC3050. Hope you guys are doing well!

Jamie said...

I have my mom's old one, and I love it, but I unfortunately I don't know anything about the new ones. I would second and say go for a real-sized one--if you decide to make a quilt or something you'll want a legit one. See if you can take at least an intro class somewhere so you can learn about threading your machine, adjusting the tension, how to thread and put on the bobbin, and what the different stitches are for. Sometimes fabric stores do classes--or better yet, check with someone at church!

This pillow tutorial is a great starter project: easy to cut, and mostly just straight lines:
http://candacetodd.blogspot.com/2009/02/super-easy-removable-pillow-cover.html

How fun Ems! Call or email if you have questions!

Nick and Ashleigh said...

I'm like you and have no sewing experience but want to learn. If you find the answers to your questions, let me know! Maybe we can experiment together! Also, I would assume that this sewing machine is more cute then efficient, but I'm not sure ;)

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

I have absolutely no sewing experience. If I need something sewn I have to call my mommy. Kinda lame.

Brittany said...

Yea I looked into getting a cute and small one, but it just wasn't going to take me as far in my sewing, and they definitely don't last as long. I have this brother sewing machine:http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11222787

I bought it from Costco and I love it! I have used it like crazy. You will definitely want a good sized sewing machine, so it can handle sewing quilts, clothes, upholstery, etc..The brother sewing machine is still really light, but very durable. The only problem that I have come across with it is that it adjusts the tension too much so its hard to use elastic thread...but its def. fixable. You just have to turn a little screw. I know Singers are great machines too, and parts are a lot easier to find at fabric stores.

I totally did the same thing by the way. My mom always wanted to teach me how to sew, but I never wanted to until about a year ago. It has been sooo much fun!

Rach said...

ooh. i can't wait to see your creations!

Coonsfamily said...

I'll teach you what I know. I think blankets are good first projects. 4 nice straight sides you have to sew ;) Trust me & don't by the cheaper mini ones. Get a used good one. They last forever. I buy lots of cute fabrics on Etsy. There's millions to choose from. I should take pics of the stuff I've made so you can see how easy it is. I'm going to begin to work on a blanket soon, I can teach you then!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails