Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Goodbye Grapes

Adelaide is asserting her autonomy lately and often does the exact opposite of what we ask.  The most frustrating is when we are in the car and she undoes part of her car seat or screams loudly to wake up Maverick.  Since I can't put her in time-out which is our normal consequence I usually turn off her music or take away a toy.  It doesn't take long for her to sweet talk me into turning the music back on or handing back her toy though; it is so much easier to give her "another chance" and drive the rest of the way in peace than listen to her tantrums.  On a long drive last week Rick and I had had enough... I told her if she did anything naughty I would throw one of her toys out the window.  She screamed really loud to wake up Maverick, so I had no choice but to throw one of her toys out the window.  Her plastic purple grapes seemed like the best candidate so I chucked them out the window while Adelaide watched in disbelief.  

Let's just say she has been exceptionally well behaved in our car ever since.  She also still looks out the window while repeating "my grapes.... my grapes" in hopes she will spot them.

I promise I don't litter normally, but thanks highway 17 for taking one for the team.  



6 comments:

Unknown said...

Ha ha. Way to take a stand!

Cami P said...

Oh my gosh - haha!! This post was making me crack up! I remember my Dad telling my sister and I as kids to clean up our room or else he would throw everything away. We didn't clean up and he literally threw all of our stuff away. The only thing I remember was my orange nail polish and I was so upset hahaha

Annie said...

i LOVE this.

Nassari Everett said...

That is awesome! way to stand your ground. I don't know how many times I have been tempted to give away or throw away WIll's toys.

Steve-O said...

Possibly my favorite thing ever.

Emily said...

Thanks for the support everyone :)

Cami, I'm pretty sure your dad will be Rick's new hero... he always wants to pull that trick on Adelaide but I won't let him just yet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails